No clutch pressure

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

No clutch pressure

Postby 240SR on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:43 pm

My 240 has been sitting for about 8 months.Now the clutch pedal has very little pressure.
I bled the lines refiled and now there is no pressure, the pedal stays on the floor.
The master cylinder was replaced last summer and has a stage 3 bully clutch kit.
I have no Idea whats wrong cause all the parts are knew.
240SR
Nissan Newbie

Re: No clutch pressure

Postby Nismo on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:31 am

How does the slave cylinder look?

My guess is its done.

They tend to hate performance clutches, I am on my second. I think Nave is on his third.
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby red98s14 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:07 pm

To ask the obvious (cause sometimes it's necessary) did you bleed it at the clutch damper as well?
red98s14
Safety Nazi

Postby DJPyro on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:23 pm

^^ If he still has it, the first thing he should do is get rid of that piece of crap... run your hardline directly to the softline going into the slave... Also like Alex said, your slave cyl is probably pooched. They're like $20 at Napa, mine lasted me a season and a half with an upgraded clutch. For $20 that ain't bad.
Wishin' for a coupe...
DJPyro
Primary Driver

Postby Nismo on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:48 pm

DJPyro wrote:^^ If he still has it, the first thing he should do is get rid of that piece of crap... run your hardline directly to the softline going into the slave... Also like Alex said, your slave cyl is probably pooched. They're like $20 at Napa, mine lasted me a season and a half with an upgraded clutch. For $20 that ain't bad.

Ours are NAPA units too... but they only last a season with ACT HD 6 puck... so we get them exchanged under warranty :P. Its become part of the spring tune-up. Oil change, filter, slave cyl, charge the battery, giver!
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby 240SR on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:53 pm

Ok thanks guys.I'm gonna replace the slave cylinder,and see what happens.
240SR
Nissan Newbie

Postby Nave on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:28 pm

Even before you replace it you should see the problem pretty quick... pull back the boot a bit and it will be soaked with brake fluid. They do tend to fail with the upgraded clutches, I keep a spare one in stock. :grin:
- 90 Coupe a la SR
- 90 Coupe a la KA
Nave
NEO Member

Postby DJPyro on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 pm

Yeah I think mine only lasted the season, it was pretty done when I was under there, but I had bigger things to deal with. I just didn't have the reciept any more :P
Wishin' for a coupe...
DJPyro
Primary Driver

Postby 240SR on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:45 pm

I replaced the slave cylinder and the master cylinder.The clutch is better,but I only feel the pressure after the clutch pedal is more than half way down.So now I don't know what else to try.
And I just found out my mechanic ripped me off.Last summer I had the master and the slave replaced at his shop.
I just took the slave cylinder off that he sapposedly replaced,and it's the original part.He charged me $70 for the part and $168 in labor,when he did nothing at all.I bought the slave cylinder for $35 and put it on myslef in 15 minutes.
240SR
Nissan Newbie

Postby Nismo on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 am

I would go back with the core part and stab him with it.
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby DJPyro on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Nismo wrote:I would go back with the core part and stab him with it.

X2
Wishin' for a coupe...
DJPyro
Primary Driver

Postby Hockeylife on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:37 pm

Hey guys, i recently had the same problem with my clutch (no pressure). At first it seemed like it was because the slave cylinder was toast (it was leaking inside the boot). I replaced the slave but I still had the problem. With help from a Technician I work with, we found out that it was in fact the Clutch Damper (the box that has the thicker lines) that was causing the problem. We came to this conclusion because we ended up removing the damper and making a straight connection from the master to the slave. Presto, full clutch pressure after a quick bleeding of the lines. Hope this helps with anyones problems in the future.
Hockeylife
G2 Licence holder

Return to Technical Questions