Few Small Problems

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

Few Small Problems

Postby kys on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:12 pm

So I'm having a couple of problems with my 240, wondering if anyone can give me some advice?
First off, My lever that pops the trunk and opens the gas tank. My cable broke and I can no longer Pop my trunk or open my gas tank, which ultimately leads to me not being able to drive the car. What would be the best thing to do? Take it to a garage and get a new cable installed? Try to weld the two pieces together if possible? Other? Please help me out.
And second. Like alot of 240's, my strut tower is Corroded. One is fine, the other is toasted. My mechanic told me it's a matter of time before the car splits in two. My dad has a welder, should i get him to do it? And if so how should i go about patching it up? Thanks alot. ANy little bit helps!
kys
G2 Licence holder

Re: Few Small Problems

Postby Nave on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:07 am

The cable thing is pretty simple. You either have to get another one or not use it. I'm not sure if they are available or not from Nissan, I assume they are. If you don't get one you can just use the key in the trunk and reach in to the trunk to open the gas door (that's what I do on my beater because I really don't care that much).

The strut tower is a job, let me tell you. The only thing to it is cut out the bad and replace with the new. Line everything up, make the shape the same, etc etc. It's kind of one of those things where if it has to be completely explained you really shouldn't be doing it yourself anyway..... and on that note, I pretty much guarantee you it will take twice as long as you think. They are a total PITA, especially with the engine in.
- 90 Coupe a la SR
- 90 Coupe a la KA
Nave
NEO Member

Postby kys on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:13 am

Thanks, I would just open the trunk with my key buut. My trunk lock and passenger door lock are jammed I can't turn it at all so im SOL.
kys
G2 Licence holder

Postby bartyb on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:16 pm

If your cable just snapped at one location, you can just clamp it back with cable clamps. you can adjust the cable anyways.
About the rear lock, I changed a few in the last years on a few cars, it's very easy to change, it's ~ 60$ at the dealer for the cylinder lock and about 12$ to have it cut yo fit your key at a locksmith. But if you fix your cable you won't "need" to do it, and since you can't open the hood, you need to fix the cable.

If your strut tower is bad, as Nave mentionned, make sure it's done right. Also inspect the respective tire wheel well, at the seam between the frame rail and the strut tower valley. I had one car shear at that location as well as at the strut tower, the car felt like driving with a car with no shocks but with 3 times the suspension travel, good thing I had a strut bar, along with the hood, it kept things somewhat in place. :ohnoes: It was a scary drive home.
It's not a complicated fix, but you will be cursing a lot, for a long time. I suggest reinforcing that area once the sheet metal has all been replaced.
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Return to Technical Questions