not going into boost

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

not going into boost

Postby Birdman12 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:27 pm

I have a T3 turbo with a 44mm tial external wastegate. i was driving up a hill and boosting fine then when i let off my bov sounded half way and then i heard a ting or metal click noise and now it wont boost anymore...it still runs fine and feel like n/a. i took the wastegate off and took it apart to inspect, spring is good and everything looked fine. i checked for vacum and boost leaks, none. i have no idea what is wrong, turbo is fine and from what i can see the wastegate should be good too. any suggestions? thanks!
Phil

Volcano Black 99.5 Audi A4 1.8T S-Line Quattro
Birdman12
Casual Driver

Re: not going into boost

Postby Nave on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:34 pm

BOV stuck open? Can you hear the turbo at all?
- 90 Coupe a la SR
- 90 Coupe a la KA
Nave
NEO Member

Postby Birdman12 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:45 pm

I haven`t checked the BOV, and i cannot hear spool or anything. I will check that out later today. Thanks!
Phil

Birdman12
Casual Driver

Postby Nave on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:17 am

What leads you to believe the turbo is "fine" ?
- 90 Coupe a la SR
- 90 Coupe a la KA
Nave
NEO Member

Postby Birdman12 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:07 pm

i checked the bov and the spring is good and its staying closed.

i`m going to remove the turbo tonight and check if maybe the shaft snapped or if the exhaust wheel got messed up or something :(
Phil

Birdman12
Casual Driver

Postby Birdman12 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:49 am

i checked yet again the bov and wastegate. the wastegate was alittle loose and after tightening a nut inside the car pulls alittle better but i cant hear spool and it will creep to 1 maybe 2psi.

the turbo has normal shaft play and i have not taken it off yet to check the exhaust side...
Phil

Birdman12
Casual Driver

Postby Birdman12 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:45 pm

so someone told me last night that there is supposed to be a valve seat ring between the wastegate and the manifold....i'm guessing that is the problem and that was the noise because i dont have that ring when i took the wastegate off. but where would have it gone? :? out the screamer pipe hopefully!

and now to look for a 38mm valve seat at 9:45 on a sunday morning before i have to leave for montreal again :!:
Phil

Birdman12
Casual Driver

Postby Nave on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:04 pm

There is a ring there, yes, but there is now way it would go out the screamer pipe unless it was in a number of pieces. It is also crushed by the two flanges when you bolt on the wg. Keep in mind, it should still build SOME boost even with that ring gone. Plus, it probably wouldn't make the sound you heard. Did you unbolt the turbo and really check it out? Even the elbow? If you want to make sure it isn't the wg just fab up a quick plate, take off the wg and block it off. If it doesn't build boost then you know it is something else.
- 90 Coupe a la SR
- 90 Coupe a la KA
Nave
NEO Member

Return to Technical Questions