Crank, no Start

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

Crank, no Start

Postby thetest on Sun May 04, 2008 10:11 pm

all right, i found out that the fuel pump relay fuse was blown, i replaced the fuse and yet nada... relay is ok, tested it on other circuit, but when i put the key in the "on" position, the relay does not click (the coil is not activated) so either the ECCS is not closing the loop or ?? :?: ?? i have battery tension in relay input coming from the fuse...(relay connector 1 and 5)... anybody have this problem b4? would i need a new ECCS?
Last edited by thetest on Mon May 05, 2008 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If it is enough for you to be you, you will be free from the expectations and opinions of others."
thetest
Casual Driver

Re: Crank, no Start

Postby thetest on Mon May 05, 2008 12:31 am

anybody?
"If it is enough for you to be you, you will be free from the expectations and opinions of others."
thetest
Casual Driver

Postby bartyb on Mon May 05, 2008 3:07 am

thetest wrote:all right, i found out that the fuel pump relay fuse was blown, i replaced the fuse and yet nada... relay is ok, tested it on other circuit, but when i put the key in the "on" position, the relay does not click (the coil is not activated) so either the ECCS is not closing the loop or ?? :?: ?? i have battery tension in relay input coming from the fuse...(relay connector 1 and 5)... anybody have this problem b4? would i need a new ECCS?

So did you check if your ignition works, you checked at the spark plus and actually say the spark?
You might have a short on the fuel pump sending unit, very common, the ground on the unit which is connected to the top of it, is loose as in not connected anymore, ground it well, and my guess from the pictures of the car, some of the other wires going into the fuel pump through the sending unit are loose, possibly shorting it out. Put a picture of your sending unit, just look in your trunk area. I restored so many of those sending units you have no idea, my guess is that you will also need to change your sending outlet and your return lines, very easy to do and I highly suggest it, you will see their condition when you'll remove the cover. Also, the small bolts holding your sending unit to your fuel tank will most likely be toast, I always buy new ones at Nissan because they are a special small size ones. Make sure your seal is ok if not it will smell gas in the car.
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby thetest on Mon May 05, 2008 9:46 pm

i have spark, will check sending unit
thetest
Casual Driver

Postby thetest on Mon May 05, 2008 10:28 pm

all right pictures to be posted soon, not too good rez due to cell cam (2 mp) anyways,

in the wiring diagram, there is 4 wires, but yet when i look at my fuel sending unit, i see 5 wires, all of their colors (except BLK) dont match the wiring diagram's colors... how the fuck am i supposed to know what wire does what...???? ground seems to be good (checked continuity)... and yet my main concern is the relay, it still wont click...
thetest
Casual Driver

Postby b-tuned on Tue May 06, 2008 3:52 pm

Try turning the key all the way but don't start the car, you should hear the fuel pump priming for about 5 seconds. Make sure its not working before you fiddle with the wires because it'll probably crumble if its rusty. Theres a fuse too for the fuel pump if you haven't checked that.

~B
b-tuned
Casual Driver

Postby thetest on Thu May 08, 2008 10:15 pm

b-tuned wrote:Try turning the key all the way but don't start the car, you should hear the fuel pump priming for about 5 seconds. Make sure its not working before you fiddle with the wires because it'll probably crumble if its rusty. Theres a fuse too for the fuel pump if you haven't checked that.

~B

i'm a pretty good mechanic to know that (college diploma)... like my previous post says, the fuel pump fuse was burnt, and i replaced it, yet nothing, will look at it more at the end of the week
thetest
Casual Driver

Postby MRWmotorsports on Sat May 10, 2008 2:03 am

Pull the relay and see if you have power to the socket... you'll need to check the scematics to see which connections should have power and when. Since this relay only get's power for 5 seconds on ignition it's on a timer circuit of some sort, so that's another place to look.

As far as the sending unit being different to yoru schematics, what schematic are you using? Unless it's from a Nissan FSM, and is yoru yoru exact year of car it's a "guide" at best. Have you tried a different relay? Just pull one teh saem colour from somewhere else and try it... maybe teh relay burnt and blew teh fuse?

Keep at it, you'll figure it out!

-Martin.
MRWmotorsports
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby thetest on Sat May 10, 2008 8:14 pm

MRWmotorsports wrote:Pull the relay and see if you have power to the socket... you'll need to check the scematics to see which connections should have power and when. Since this relay only get's power for 5 seconds on ignition it's on a timer circuit of some sort, so that's another place to look.

As far as the sending unit being different to yoru schematics, what schematic are you using? Unless it's from a Nissan FSM, and is yoru yoru exact year of car it's a "guide" at best. Have you tried a different relay? Just pull one teh saem colour from somewhere else and try it... maybe teh relay burnt and blew teh fuse?

Keep at it, you'll figure it out!

-Martin.

the relay is not the problem... i switched it still not working, and i will keep at it, that for sure...im using the schematics from mitchell1 or 240edge.com (theyre the same)...i have power to the socket, but no ground to the relay control wire (the wire that goes into the ECCS, so i guess it's possible that the ECCS might be defective?
thetest
Casual Driver

Postby thetest on Sun May 11, 2008 9:02 pm

allright here's the pics of the wires going into the fuel sending unit, notice that it looks like there are 4 wires but there are actually 5, the black one is a bit hidden besides the blue wire... sorry for the bad rez (didnt have a digicam at the time)...

Image Image
thetest
Casual Driver

Return to Technical Questions