*cough* (aka Greatest Thread Evar!)

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

Postby red98s14 on Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:58 pm

Nismo wrote:Tell me if I am on crack

My generation used acid to escape reality.
Now we're using antacid to deal with reality.
red98s14
Safety Nazi

Postby Axlerod on Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:10 pm

red98s14 wrote:
Nismo wrote:Tell me if I am on crack

My generation used acid to escape reality.
Now we're using antacid to deal with reality.

For someone who apparently resents being thought of as "old," you sure point it out a lot ;)
Paul
Axlerod
Grammar Police

Postby Nismo on Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:15 pm

He probably had something that didn't agree with him last night for supper... my guess is Mexican food. Then went to the med cabinet to find out he was out of Tums with Calcium, and was left with a shitty pack of Rollaids from the mid 80's.

He was mostly pissed off because the calcium is something his body needs anyway and he could not cash in on the double oppertunity.
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby red98s14 on Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:18 pm

Axlerod wrote:For someone who apparently resents being thought of as "old," you sure point it out a lot ;)

I yam what I yam and that's what I yam.

I'm 50....sh!t happens :wink:

The only thing I 'resent' is the feeling, expressed in some places, that anyone over 30 can't be a true enthusiast. I get that on SON some days. It's one of the reasons I like to hang out here. 8)
red98s14
Safety Nazi

Postby Axlerod on Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:20 pm

Everyone (real enthusiasts, anyways) knows the older you are the more hardcore you get.

All the best editors at R&T are the older ones, and when they have guest testers, it's always someone like Phil Hill, the old veterans who dont take any shits from cars!! ;)
Paul
Axlerod
Grammar Police

Postby ADAMH on Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:22 pm

david,
did you end up going to the shop mon and tues?

alex..i would go with a bigger turbo...and not bite into the ball bearing sales pitch..its not worth the extra money IMO
ZO6 DESTROYER
ADAMH
a.k.a GAS MAN!

Postby Nismo on Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:24 pm

red98s14 wrote:
Axlerod wrote:For someone who apparently resents being thought of as "old," you sure point it out a lot ;)

I yam what I yam and that's what I yam.

I'm 50....sh!t happens :wink:

The only thing I 'resent' is the feeling, expressed in some places, that anyone over 30 can't be a true enthusiast. I get that on SON some days. It's one of the reasons I like to hang out here. 8)

50! I would not have given you a day over 36.5!

Unlike SON (who are still learning that the older gents have more experience and more knowledge to share) we enjoy having the older guys around to keep an eye on us and make sure we don't fall into rice tendencies.

Have you noticed all NEO turbo cars recirc their BOV's? Ever thought about that????
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby Nismo on Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:32 pm

SRKILLERKAT :) wrote:alex..i would go with a bigger turbo...and not bite into the ball bearing sales pitch..its not worth the extra money IMO

Don't believe the hype eh?

I was wondering about that. Because (and I am sure you have noticed this too) on Fresh Alloy, everyone who is running the Big T28 (non ball bearing off the skyline) is getting more power than the S15 turbos.

Have you seen Mo's latest post?

Mo wrote:I finally dynoed my car last Friday and I made 297.2 HP and 316.1 Torque. My set up consists:
Stock S13 Redtop with brand new T28 non-BB turbo
Full exhaust with 3” cat.
550 injectors
Z32 fuel pump
JWT ECU
FMIC
93 octane unleaded
17psi boost

I am sure my car could have made more power if I run a test pipe plus picked a colder day. It was 98 degrees inside the dynojet when the dyno was done.

Nice and flat...
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby bing on Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:33 am

so lets say i stay NA KA,

even though i may not be able to put more than 170hp at the crank i can still play with the power band to make the car a more formidible foe?

for example the PDM car

this is Don's car's dynoe before the cam, that looks pretty flat to me anyways.

and now with the cam:

i guess this may not be a great example because Don's car was well tuned before he put the cam on.

but i guess i'm asking for confirmation. if my car is putting down say 140hp to the wheels with what ever mods, but i my power band is much flatter than another 240sx with similar power then i would stomp him correct?

so when i hit say 4500rpm i would be putting out the kind of power he would be putting out at 6000rpm. so obviously i would be going faster sooner, and longer.

hmm, this is enlightening. so there is more to speed than just pure hp.
bing

Postby red98s14 on Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:59 am

bing wrote:hmm, this is enlightening. so there is more to speed than just pure hp.

Do I see a :idea: going on?
red98s14
Safety Nazi

Postby Axlerod on Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:25 pm

red98s14 wrote:
bing wrote:hmm, this is enlightening. so there is more to speed than just pure hp.

Do I see a :idea: going on?

What was that engine you're getting again Dave? ;)
Paul
Axlerod
Grammar Police

Postby MRWmotorsports on Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:50 pm

Could someone (a mod?) save this thread and make it sticky in the tech section? Lots of good stuf fhere that I haven't had teh time to read thoroughl yet...

-Martin.
MRWmotorsports
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby mikeness on Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:37 pm

i saw some pics of a Carb'd ka24de and a ka24e
why would someone carb a KA? are there any benifits?
here, found the pix
mikeness
Casual Driver

Postby red98s14 on Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:44 pm

Well I'd hazard a guess that it was easier. Both those pics appear to be swaps into 510's.
red98s14
Safety Nazi

Postby mikeness on Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:46 pm

yeah they are swapped into an older car, not sure what it is tho
if you follow the image sources im sure you could find out what it is.
mikeness
Casual Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Questions