*cough* (aka Greatest Thread Evar!)

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

*cough* (aka Greatest Thread Evar!)

Postby Nismo on Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:20 pm

I must say its pretty dead in here... where are all the newbs? I need someone to pick on.
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby mikeness on Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:36 pm

mooo
mikeness
Casual Driver

Postby ADAMH on Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:48 pm

i will bicker with you for a while....

adam
ZO6 DESTROYER
ADAMH
a.k.a GAS MAN!

Postby Nismo on Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:54 pm

Here we go... Mr. $2 mod and big mouth Hutchison!

Alright boys... what heck do you wanna fight about today?

Adam -> blow up your car lately?

Mike -> what does the backyard hold for the next mod?
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby Nismo on Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:58 pm

What about this new kid KukL... whats your story nOOb?

What do you know about the 240sx?
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby Axlerod on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:06 pm

Well word has it Mike let DIP (from SON) into his engine bay to swap some cams...

Consequently Mikes engine is now scrap.
Paul
Axlerod
Grammar Police

Postby Nismo on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:10 pm

Axlerod wrote:Well word has it Mike let DIP (from SON) into his engine bay to swap some cams...

Consequently Mikes engine is now scrap.

Is this true Mike? H'aah! SON... s'like the blind leading the blind!

GO TEAM KABOOM!!!!
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby ADAMH on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:12 pm

well i melted my master cylinder this weekend at a solo 1 event...killing my brakes...ran off the track..and called it a day....had it boosting to 17psi this weekend seemed to like it ..very peppy before the turbo bolts came loose and started to piss exhaust out..

what about you SR boy :)
ZO6 DESTROYER
ADAMH
a.k.a GAS MAN!

Postby Nismo on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:15 pm

SRKILLERKAT :) wrote:well i melted my master cylinder this weekend at a solo 1 event...killing my brakes...ran off the track..and called it a day....had it boosting to 17psi this weekend seemed to like it ..very peppy before the turbo bolts came loose and started to piss exhaust out..

Nah I'm a pussy in comparisson... I don't have the financial stability or a Pathfinder and trailer to drag my car home after such a thrashing. For now its stock boost... maybe when I can afford some injectors I will crank it up a little. I worry when when I hear about stuff like what you just described. After all the hard work to get it running well... turn around a blow it up... not my style.
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby Axlerod on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:26 pm

Nismo wrote:GO TEAM KABOOM!!!!

lol yup...

I trust posting this is ok with Mike, as he's making it public on MSN, and I have already ribbed him a good deal.

I saw the progression on MSN as his names changed.

Fisrt he asked me if I knew anything about timing and camshafts ... particularely which way to turn them to retard them. I thought that was done at the distributor, but I dont know anything about camshafts so I told him as much. What I did kow was that they are about the most sensitive things on the eninge, one small screw up say goodbye to your valves, and possibly much more.

Then his name changed to "f@$ing camshafts snap like toothpics"

So I inquire, and one had broken when he was pulling it out.

Then his name changes to "engine dead, f$#%"

Then I could pull out the ol "I told you so." It was only afterwards that I found he had let DIP do the tuning... BIG MISTAKE. Go read some of his posts on SON and you will understand ;) I still dont know why he was swapping them in the first place, but hey, its the easiest way to learn (to not let DIP work on your car), right Mike? ;)

BUT on a lighter note, now Mike is saving up for an SR. Or a new pair of walking shoes, once these ones wear out ;)
Paul
Axlerod
Grammar Police

Postby Nismo on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:31 pm

CLASSIC!!!!

I just had a quick peek on SON... oh man... as if you guys tackled cams and had no prior experience.

Did I mention I have some property down in Florida that you might be interested in?
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby KukL on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:40 pm

heh, well that blows (no pun intended)

Nismo wrote:What about this new kid KukL... whats your story nOOb?

What do I know? I know I love the car I'll tell you that much, its completely stock right now. I've just done some regular servicing since I got it. Oil change, spark plugs, air filter, muffler rattled horribly so I changed that and I'm going easy on it till I'm more familiar with the way it behaves. It runs great though, I think it was a good deal.

It has a small noise in the engine that I dont know what it is. Its kind of like a clicking sound, dunno exactly how to describe it. Doest worry me much since the car runs tip top, doesnt smoke or use up too much gas or oil. It also doesnt get louder as I rev it up, I cant hear it after 2500rpm. Maybe I should have someone take a look at it, maybe its nothing, who knows.
KukL
Casual Driver

Postby Nismo on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:47 pm

KukL wrote:heh, well that blows (no pun intended)

Nismo wrote:What about this new kid KukL... whats your story nOOb?

What do I know? I know I love the car I'll tell you that much, its completely stock right now. I've just done some regular servicing since I got it. Oil change, spark plugs, air filter, muffler rattled horribly so I changed that and I'm going easy on it till I'm more familiar with the way it behaves. It runs great though, I think it was a good deal.

It has a small noise in the engine that I dont know what it is. Its kind of like a clicking sound, dunno exactly how to describe it. Doest worry me much since the car runs tip top, doesnt smoke or use up too much gas or oil. It also doesnt get louder as I rev it up, I cant hear it after 2500rpm. Maybe I should have someone take a look at it, maybe its nothing, who knows.

More of a clicking or more of a rattle like a chain rattle? If its a rattle might be the chain guide for the timing chain (its a common thing to go and is a pretty quick fix) if its a clicking noise it could be a number of things. My guess is its just the KA... these motors are not the most quiet things, and the lifters tap like crazy. Next time we meet up you should come out and we can take a look see!

EDIT: BC is a long drive... never mind. :wink:
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby ADAMH on Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:10 pm

yeah its a pain fixing things...but i have the car to race it...so it races..and sometimes gets busted....thats just part of the sport...this year i learned alot about what things will go wrong in fielding a turbo car..so next year i will have them all fixed and hopefully do better...it was a good season..with some good wins and some good breakdowns...

Nismo wrote:
SRKILLERKAT :) wrote:well i melted my master cylinder this weekend at a solo 1 event...killing my brakes...ran off the track..and called it a day....had it boosting to 17psi this weekend seemed to like it ..very peppy before the turbo bolts came loose and started to piss exhaust out..

Nah I'm a pussy in comparisson... I don't have the financial stability or a Pathfinder and trailer to drag my car home after such a thrashing. For now its stock boost... maybe when I can afford some injectors I will crank it up a little. I worry when when I hear about stuff like what you just described. After all the hard work to get it running well... turn around a blow it up... not my style.
ZO6 DESTROYER
ADAMH
a.k.a GAS MAN!

Postby Nismo on Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:02 pm

SRKILLERKAT :) wrote:yeah its a pain fixing things...but i have the car to race it...so it races..and sometimes gets busted....thats just part of the sport...this year i learned alot about what things will go wrong in fielding a turbo car..so next year i will have them all fixed and hopefully do better...it was a good season..with some good wins and some good breakdowns...

Nismo wrote:

Maybe someday when I can afford another car to be my daily driver. Right now the Silbeer has both race and daily driver duty so I don't beat on the old girl too much!
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Next

Return to Technical Questions