Clutch interlock relay on Canadian s13's?

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

Clutch interlock relay on Canadian s13's?

Postby bartyb on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:15 pm

So I tried to pass safety with an 93 s13, with a rebuilt s14 ka, and it didn't pass because the car can start in gear. So I checked the functioning of the switch on the clutch pedal, there is continuity only when clutch pedal is released, and visually checked the neutral switch on the tranny and wiring. It all looks good. I then checked the fsm, and noticed that on the Clutch interlock relay, it states US only, does that mean Canadian s13 didn't have it? So before I start hunting wiring down with the multimeter, is it possible that those models are supposed to be like that? I also checked the relay box below the air filter, and there is nothing under the [clutch] label, no relay, no wiring nor even the female part of a relay, which made me think that perhaps the car came this way from the factoty.
I might just put an extra relay on it to pass safety..

Thanks
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Re: Clutch interlock relay on Canadian s13's?

Postby markatos on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 am

Correct. When attempting the cross-border safety for my 89, (which I haven't done yet), it failed for no clutch interlock, but I checked with the stealership (Graham in Bells Corners). You'll need to get a letter from the Service Manager verifying that the car did not come equipped with a clutch interlock relay.
ImageImageImage
Resident Pro Photographer | Resident Cynic
markatos
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby bartyb on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:41 pm

markatos wrote:Correct. When attempting the cross-border safety for my 89, (which I haven't done yet), it failed for no clutch interlock, but I checked with the stealership (Graham in Bells Corners). You'll need to get a letter from the Service Manager verifying that the car did not come equipped with a clutch interlock relay.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help. That just saved me some unnecessary wiring and lots of cursing.
I just received my letter form the dealership.
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby markatos on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Glad to be of service. Now if only I had the time to repair mine...
ImageImageImage
Resident Pro Photographer | Resident Cynic
markatos
NEO Hardcore Crew

Return to Technical Questions