Upgraded clutch slave cylinder?

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

Upgraded clutch slave cylinder?

Postby bartyb on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 pm

So yeah, I got tired of changing my clutch slave every 6 months on the SR coupe with the hard clutch, my pedal pressure is way harder than stock, and the stock slave doesn't like it. It just died again last night.
Is the Nismo option really worth the ~200$? I've read they are basically a re badged stock part.
I've also read that the Z31 might be an upgrade, but without confirming it.

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthrea ... e+cylinder

I'm thinking of just modifying a stock part, bore it out on a mill, machine a plunger and bring it to a hydraulic shop to get an HD seal.

Any advice?

Thanks
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Re: Upgraded clutch slave cylinder?

Postby Nismo on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:53 pm

I'd be curious to see what results you get. Evan and myself change ours every two seasons or so. In fact, mine is due to be changed again pretty soon. Noticed it started leaking again.
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby MRWmotorsports on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Mine leaks, has for 5 years, screw chaning it.

-Martin.
MRWmotorsports
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby bartyb on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Well I spent a lot of time looking at napa's part numbers, and found a few slave cylinders with 13/16" bores, such as the following parts numbers:

The first one might work if I cut the first tab and tig it on the other side. It looks similar to the skyline slave cylinders.

But what I think I'll do is just bore out my busted slave cylinder to 13/16 since only the seal failed, and use the internals of this one. Total cost, less than 20$. I would really appreciate a lighter pedal feel, and even more not having to change something that often. I also spoke with a hydraulic shop, and they can provide me with a seal as well, which will be cheaper than 20$, but then I would have to also machine a plunger.

I'll keep you posted.
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Return to Technical Questions