Weird clutch issue?

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

Weird clutch issue?

Postby bartyb on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 pm

I have a weird thing happening on a friend's car, it's a Toyota corolla, it had it's clutch changed 3 years ago for a rebuilt one. It started slipping one day, and the next it just went. right now, you can start the car, put it in any gear, and the car doesn't even move at inch, yet you feel some vibration. The slave cylinder and fork are working fine, the shifters cables are also all right, I was thinking perhaps the main seal let go and impregnated the clutch of oil (but wouldn't the car move just a bit then?) , or maybe the clutch diagram failed.
Anyone ever heard of such a problem? There was no big bang when it failed.
I'm planning on pulling the tranny out to have a peak, but this puzzles me.

Thanks for any help.
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Re: Weird clutch issue?

Postby Nismo on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:30 pm

I've seen the clutch friction disk blow apart... but that usually comes with a big bang attached to it. But I've also seen the center spline on the friction disk spin apart. So the spine and the disk separate from one another. You'll know the second you open it. :grin:

OEM toyota clutch next time :wink:

Keep us posted.
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby MRWmotorsports on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Tell us what you find - there' s no cure to this without taking it apart1

I've seen similar symptoms.. I have an rx7 turboII sittng like thsi for 3 = yers now... just haven't got to it.
In this cas eteh pedal is all teh way to the floor and doesn't come back. I've tried a pry bar on the actuator arm.. no go... somethg is seized or bound up...

Good luck.

-Martin.
MRWmotorsports
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby Jonweir on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Is the pedal returning when pressed? (ie pressure plate is ok?)
Hot brontosaurus having breakfast:
Jon.
Jonweir
NEO Original Crew

Postby bartyb on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:19 am

And the price goes to Alex :mrgreen:

Found bits and pieces of the friction disk while taking out the tranny, I'll post pictures shortly. Never say this happened before. He plans on running the car one more year, so he wants to go with a rebuilt clutch again and hope for the best :fingersx:
The pressure plate seemed ok, when depressing the pedal I could see the slave pushing on the fork and it then returned to it's initial position. I'll tell for sure once I'll see it. I'm surprised he didn't hear a big banging sound when it failed. This is an epic failure considering he's a calm driver in a corolla.

Thanks for all the help! I guess that's why they give you a 1 year warranty on rebuilt clutches...
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby Nismo on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:29 pm

[takes a bow]
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby Nave on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:17 pm

I would've said rivets on the disk to hub connection or something like that. I changed one on a Honda, never slipped. It was all then nothing.
- 90 Coupe a la SR
- 90 Coupe a la KA
Nave
NEO Member

Return to Technical Questions