SS Braided Brake Lines: A Discussion.

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

SS Braided Brake Lines: A Discussion.

Postby Stringbean on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:03 am

Let’s see if I can liven this place up a bit…

There is lots of debate about stainless steel braided brake lines on the internet. I’m curious to get NEO’s opinion on this. We have street drivers and we have race car drivers here so it should make for a good discussion.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Brake_Lines

We all know that stainless lines look better than rubber. We also know that many people claim that they offer better brake pedal feel. They firm up your pedal since they are stiffer than rubber lines which expand under pressure. They are also more durable in terms of puncture (rocks or debris).

What people don’t know is that there is no easy way to inspect the Teflon hose behind the stainless braid. Stainless steel lines have been known to fail when dirt gets between the outer braid and the Teflon lining. As the braid moves back and forth, the dirt abrades the Teflon and can make it rupture (no good in terms of fatigue). Some of the articles on the net point some pretty catastophic ss brake line failures but to be honest we have no proof that it wasn’t a poor installation that was the cause.

What I’m reading is that stainless lines are “replacement” parts meaning they should be replaced regularly. If you have a race car or spend a lot of time at the track where a slightly firmer pedal can have an effect on your driving it’s worth the investment to not only upgrade but also change regularly. They are saying that for street use, rubber lines are best.

There is also talk of rubber coated stainless lines but I’m not sure what to make of those either. The article above also gives a pretty lengthy explanation of why good stainless lines can never be DOT approved (not that I really care). For one thing, the regulations call for crimped fittings which are terrible for stainless lines. The best ones to use are Aeroquip style fittings.

Stainless or rubber? Is the pedal really firmer? Are they really that much more durable? Should they be replaced regularly? Is the investment better spent elsewhere?

Discuss….
Stringbean
Mixologist formerly known as DJ Blitz

Re: SS Braided Brake Lines: A Discussion.

Postby MRWmotorsports on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:33 am

Stainless.
I've never had a failure on the rally car or race car. I've had rubber lines start to leak.
If stainless start to leak, replace them, just like rubber.

-Martin.
MRWmotorsports
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby Nismo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Stainless.
Have run them for over 5 years, never had an issue.
I hate mushy brakes... and love the pedal feel with stainless lines.
Worth every penny.
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby Jonweir on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:46 am

Goodridge steel braided brake lines are tested to tougher standards (burst pressure, load cycles, etc.) than DOT minimums and most OEMs. http://www.goodridge.net/uk/pdf/all_markets/Goodridge_stainless_v_rubber.pdf

I've never heard about the dirt between the teflon and braid, how would you get that in there...? Most braided lines have a sheath over top of them to prevent abrasion to other components.

Steel braided lines are the way to go. I've seen 2 OEM brake line failures at the racetrack in the past 2 years, not so pretty results....

ninja-edit: the damn goodridge website is down for redesign right now so the link doesn't work. Yeesh...
Hot brontosaurus having breakfast:
Jon.
Jonweir
NEO Original Crew

Postby bartyb on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:37 pm

I installed the 4 Goodridge SS lines along with the 4 pots calipers like 6 years ago, and it's by far the best mod I've done on the car, I don't know how much of the feel comes from the lines, but I have yet to drive another car with such a great pedal feel and great breaking.
Another good thing about Goodridge lines that I found out, the banjo ends fits both the 4 pots calipers and the stockers.

My buddy who works for race teams says he never had problems with ss lines, they also use extremely expensive quick connects on them so they can swap calipers quickly without bleeding completely.
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby Nismo on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Hey bart, if you can, post up those quick connects!
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby bartyb on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Nismo wrote:Hey bart, if you can, post up those quick connects!

Will do. I don't remember right now what brand they were, my friend is having a commotion so once he get's better I'll ask him and post it here.
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Postby DJPyro on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Agreed. I have a project in mind and those quick connects would be awesome for it.
Wishin' for a coupe...
DJPyro
Primary Driver

Return to Technical Questions