Fuel Guage and Sender unit question

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

Fuel Guage and Sender unit question

Postby Drift_240 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Hey guys. So my fuel guage doesn't work (Stuck at 1/3) I have read numerous times that its because the leads get rotted off of the sender unit. My car also smells a bit gassy so i figure I can see If i can solder that up while I have the unit out. Anywho can the sender be removed while the gas tank is still in the car through the access panel? If not, has anyone removed their gastank? My car is somewhat rusty in the back still I have to bring the car to school in a couple of weeks (6 hours away) and I dont want to get stuck with a car that I cannot drive. is it worth it to fix now?

thanks.
Drift_240
Casual Driver

Re: Fuel Guage and Sender unit question

Postby bartyb on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:25 pm

Yes, the sending unit can be removed with the gas tank on the car.
Be prepared to curse at the small rusted bolts holding the sending unit to the tank. I always replaced those bolts with new ones from Nissan. Once you'll have removed those bolts, unhook the supply and return hoses and slowly lift the unit, you'll have to fiddle with the floater rod to get the assembly out of the tank. It is also possible depending on how rusted it is, that the supply line or return line will collapse while trying to remove the hose, while in there you can replace all lines with new ones, ideally with stainless lines, 5/16" OD.
bartyb
NEO Hardcore Crew

Re: Fuel Guage and Sender unit question

Postby Drift_240 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks for the info. Ill give it a shot.
Drift_240
Casual Driver

Return to Technical Questions