fuel pump fuse keep burning

Have problems with your car? Have questions about the inner workings of your car and/or would like to know theories and technical aspects of how things work, ask away here!

Moderators: Nismo, 13th-Angel, Axlerod

fuel pump fuse keep burning

Postby thetest on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:42 pm

all right, i replaced the fuel pump last year w/ a used one. worked fine for a while, then after a while of not driving the car, i had a crank, no start, so i checked the fuse for the fuel pump, burnt. I replaced it, and again, crank, no start, i check the fuse again, burnt. so i have a short to voltage somewhere...

anyone got any ideas/ever had the same problem b4?

btw i have a 89 s13...

thanks,

V.
"If it is enough for you to be you, you will be free from the expectations and opinions of others."
thetest
Casual Driver

Re: fuel pump fuse keep burning

Postby Nismo on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:07 pm

We just did one of these a couple of weeks ago.

For us it was the fuel sending unit. They usually get all rusty and corroded especially where the wires for the fuel pump and the gauge are located on the top plate of the unit. If you can find a less rusty one, that is what I would change first. Sadly they are no longer available at Nissan so you're left looking for a used one in good shape.
"Don't put the power on, till you know you never have to take it off" -- Sir Jackie Stewart
Nismo
NEO240SX Co-founder

Postby thetest on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Nismo wrote:We just did one of these a couple of weeks ago.

For us it was the fuel sending unit. They usually get all rusty and corroded especially where the wires for the fuel pump and the gauge are located on the top plate of the unit. If you can find a less rusty one, that is what I would change first. Sadly they are no longer available at Nissan so you're left looking for a used one in good shape.

well, I have replaced the sending unit with a good condition used one and I applied some rust inhibitor all over it to prevent it from rusting... and that's the same fuel pump that i used when the car was working last year... so i checked the unit , and it looks good, all the wires are ok, so i dont think it's that... however, now that you remind me, the fuel gauge is not working well, it's stuck at 1/8th at all times...
"If it is enough for you to be you, you will be free from the expectations and opinions of others."
thetest
Casual Driver

Postby MRWmotorsports on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:52 am

Unplug the pump right at the back by the cover. Put in a new fuse and crank. If the fuse doesn't blow it's somewhere after the plug, which leaves pump or wiring. It's where the wores go through the top of teh sending unit that I recently had problems, Nismo was helping me. The wires solder onto teh top, and solder onto the bottom... what actually goes through teh top plate of the sender is somehow insulated and water tigut (or fuel tight). On mine, the sender itself was in good condition, but was somehow shorting where the connection goes through the top plate.

If you have lots of fuses, and it doesn't blow instantly, have a friend cycle the key and feel the wires at the top of the sender. They (one) will probably get hot, then the fuse will blow.

-Martin.
MRWmotorsports
NEO Hardcore Crew

Return to Technical Questions